Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar Eclipse

Last night...or rather early this morning 12/21/10 was a lunar eclipse.  For months I've been excited about seeing this eclipse...the last time there was a full moon eclipse on the winter solstice was in 1638.  I don't know about you...but I was not here to see it & likely won't be here to see it when it happens again in 2094. 

So last night I went to bed disappointed by the cloud covered skies.  In the middle of the night (I don't have a sense of time as the clock was not set in our room) I awoke and went to a window determined to see the eclipse.  As I looked out, the clouds glowed with the fullness of the moon.  Completely surprised by what I was seeing I woke my husband to join me.  He came the window and looked out.  As the earth passed in front of the sun we saw the moons light begin to be covered.  It was amazing! 

Just as clearly and vibrant as the moon were two orbs...nearly the size of the moon.  They were lighting the sky as the moon became dark.  It was as though they were providing a beacon of light...holding space for the sky to become light again, for the moon to return to its fullness. 

In complete awe of whae we were seeing and experiencing we returned to bed and returned to sleep in the darkness of our room.  As I lay in bed I thought to myself how magnificent it was that the moon, the eclipse, and the orbs were all positioned right out my bedroom window...and even more magnificent how clearly we were able to watch this event...and now as I type I wonder to myself...was it real or was it a dream?  My answer is that I truly do not know.  But I do know that I was fully present for this event and for that I am deeply grateful!

Welcome winter!  Welcome the return of the Sun!  Welcome the beautiful beings of light holding space for our evolution and reawakening to the light!

No comments: